Sprinting into the sunrise on the 4F
GoPro video still by Dave Yoshimoto
Dark Horse Flyers Rides
the 4F (Fast & Furious Forty-Five)
Our early morning ride begins at DHE at 5:45 am sharp. Lights are mandatory.
Mondays: Advanced ride
Wednesdays: “Hammer Time” (Advanced ride)
Fridays: “Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy” no drop ride
- About 45 kms long, the route loops in and around the Don Valley three times, with an excellent variety of hills and sprint segments.
- This is a Fast Intermediate to Advanced ride.
the Nuclear Ride
Tuesday evenings, departing from DHE at 6 pm. Lights are mandatory.
- Depending on the group you join, 40-70 km from DHE.
- We ride as a group out to Port Union GO Station and back; includes option to ride the Brimley Hill (with 1-2 repeats as season progresses), and a few sprint segments.
- When days are long, we ride a loop through Port Union before returning along Lawrence and Kingston Road, and/or a loop taking in the Military Trail neighbourhood.
- This is a popular well-attended ride and therefore we usually divide into three separate pace groups: Heavy (70 km, Advanced pace/very zippy), Regular (fast Intermediate-Advanced pace) and Nuke Lite (Intermediate pace).
- The ride ends at the patio at Dundas and Carlaw.
DH Mudders MTB RIDE
Wednesdays: departs from Pottery Trailhead at 6:30 pm and picks up people at Three Rocks at 6:45.
Watch our calendar for the occasional weekend adventure.
Guaranteed to be rad. Get stoked and join us for a rip through the Don trails. Unless otherwise stated by the ride leaders on the afternoon prior to the ride, routes are made up depending on who shows up. Intermediate to advanced MTB skills are required, as are lights.
Wednesdays at 6 pm at Riverdale Park in August through September. Lights required. Pickup rides on Saturdays during the CX season.
The DHF Hills Rides
West Hills—Thursday evenings, departing from The Princes’ Gates at 6:30 pm. Lights are mandatory. After we go through the High Park/Old Mill hills course, we ride back as a group along Lakeshore Blvd. to the intersection at Strachan. About 35 km.
Central Hills—Thursday evenings, departing from DHE at 6:30 pm. Lights are mandatory. Tour of Poplar Plains and some Rosedale hills. Roughly 25km.
We all need hills practice: the Flyers hills rides are open to riders of all levels. Depending on turnout, we will divide the ride into smaller groups according to pace, but each ride is no drop in any case. Want tips on climbing? Ask your Ride Leader.
- We ride as a group to/between climbs. Go at your own pace on the hills: the group waits up for everyone between the hills.
- With many short, punchy hills of varying length and steepness, these rides provide excellent interval training.
- Novice (Beginner), Intermediate and Advanced rides: please see the Ride Board for route details.
- Routes change every three weeks and lengthen as the season progresses.
- 6:30 am Cheerio Ride (Intermediate-Advanced pace)
- 8 am Advanced ride / 8am Novice (Beginner) and Intermediate June through September.
- 9 am Novice (Beginner) and Intermediate early and late season (April-May and October on).
8am ride—Typically to either Kleinburg or the Apple Orchard from DH Spadina.
9am ride—The Leisure Not Seizure, an Intermediate pace ride for fun, conversation, recovery and enjoying the weather: 60-90 km depending on the route. Optional post-ride breakfast on a downtown patio (in season).